Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Hidden Target Treasures

Have you ever gone into a store for one specific item and walked out with an armful of completely unrelated items? Well, that's what I did this past weekend. 
I stopped at Target to pick up a highlighting kit for my hair, which they didn't even have, and came out with seven other items tallying $60+. But I'm so happy about it!!

Allow me to explain myself. Every time I go to Target I stop in their kitchen clearance section to see if they have any items on my "Kitchen Needs" list and more often than not I find a great item for super cheap. So, after striking out in the hair section I meander over and find the cute little woven basket you see in the top left corner, and I think to myself "Hey! This could make a great centerpiece!" Since I see so many Pinterest projects using Starbuck's Frappacino bottles I have been saving them for a while and I think they would fit perfectly in the four slots.

My next find was on the shelf right below and it's a Thomas O'Brien wooden tray. Not sure what I'll use it for but I couldn't pass it up. (Note: It is not normally my habit to purchase something without knowing how it can be used but my gut told me to get it and my gut has a 98.2% accuracy rate).

I then wander over to the organization clearance section because I'm also keeping my eye out for linen cubby boxes or something to help me organize my closet. I didn't find any but I did find a gray trash can which I thought would work well in my new office. After all, the Publix plastic bag that currently resides in there is looking a little worn.

Next, I look to my left and spot this cool looking piece of wood, so I head over and discover a worn, wooden, floating picture frame designed to look like an old window. Score!! This was my most expensive purchase but I couldn't believe I found this. It was a repackage and no damage at all. As I walked through the store with this in my cart I received so many compliments on it, it was like I made it my self. 

Now, I felt like I was on a roll at this point and decided to look in all the other clearance sections in the store (minus clothes....I hate clothes shopping) which is how I happened upon the three pillows. I felt like I hit the jackpot because just two days earlier as I was laying on our couch with the worst migraine ever, I thought to myself "This couch needs some pillows, it's kind of blah". Well whatdaya know....someone must have agreed with me because I was drawn straight to them.

Here's a picture of the couch with the pillows:
As for the picture frame, I was thinking of hanging it in the dining room somewhere on either of the two walls you see below. I'm leaning towards the white wall since the gray wall is shared with the living room gallery wall and it might look too busy.

I'm leaning towards the white wall since the gray wall is shared with the living room gallery wall and it might look too busy. What do you think? Below is a picture of the wall as a whole.

The best part about this story are the prices, here's the breakdown:

Trash can - $17.99 got it for $4.56 (who would even pay full price for that? Ouch...)
Woven Utensil Caddy - $15 got it for $5.24
Wooden Tray - $16 got it for $4.73
Window Frame - $34.99 got it for $24.51
Pillow (each) - $14.99 got it for $7.48

Add in my Red Card discount and a Mountain Dew (I was still battling the headache) and my total came to $64.12! If you add together all the regular prices it would have come to over $120. This has to be my most successful target trip I've ever had even if I didn't get what I was originally looking for.

So, what's the lesson in all this? Be patient and shop the clearance aisles continually. If you are hunting for something on clearance you won't find it. Instead, make a list of things that you hope to have one day, or keep track of spots in your house that you know "need" something but aren't sure what . This way, when you are shopping these aisles and you see something you like and works for something that's on your list then pick it up.

P.S. I'm still working on my home tour page. I bet you're dying to see to see the after photos.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have questions or comments? I would love to hear your input!

Blogging tips